Friday, February 24, 2012

Plautus, a good change in your reading

       I recently visited my campus library in search of something to read that will keep my attention and interest me. Keep in mind now that I am telling you, I have a rather short attention span when it comes to reading, and if you slammed an eight hundred page book in front of me I wouldn't even read the preface. I also have a strong sense of indifference when it comes to mass produced and known societal items, to an extent. Music being an exception amongst other things, can't have you thinking I'm a liar. However back to the subject at hand, as the title of this article has most likely imprinted by this point, whilst at the library I took a stroll down the English, Greek and Roman Literature sections. It was there that I stumbled upon the works of Plautus. If you are looking for something good to read, I highly recommend some of his works, I am currently at the end of the first play in the set that I checked out, "Amphitryon" by Titus Plautus.
      
       The plot follows the Commander-in-Chief of the Theban Army, Amphitryon and his slave Sosia, more particularly their lives after returning from a war with the Teloboians. After his great victory he returns home to be met with the news that he and his slave have been doubled by Mercury the Roman god of Abundance and Commercial Success, and Jupiter, the King of Roman Gods, God of the Sky and Thunder. Throughout the play, the Gods play their parts confusing those around them with their omnipotence of the situation. Sparking feuds between master and servant as well as husband and wife.



       This play is an excellent read with an educational aspect giving you background and insight into societies beliefs and behaviors in another time. I highly recommend picking up a classic next time you're looking to sit down for a few hours, rather than a poorly written story about vampires and werewolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment